Courgette, Feta & Mint Fritters
If you've currently got a glut of courgettes in the garden or want to make the most of what's in season, these fritters are quick, easy and most importantly delicious.
Great served with a fresh tomato and herb salad or glass of wine in the sunshine!
Cooking Time: 30 minutes (plus 1 hour draining time)
1 tsp fine salt
8 courgettes, coarsely grated
2 bunches spring onions, thinly sliced
1 large bunch mint, leaves picked and chopped
1 large egg
800g feta, crumbled
200g plain flour
Freshly ground black pepper
Sunflower oil, for frying
Yoghurt and chopped mint, to serve
1. Mix the fine salt and grated courgettes together and put them in a colander over a bowl. Sit a plate directly on top of the courgettes and put several weights on top of the plate. Leave to drain for 1 hour.
2. Next, put the courgettes in a clean tea towel and roll them up into a cracker shape, twisting the ends. Squeeze out as much liquid as you possibly can.
3. Put the strained courgettes into a bowl and add the spring onions, mint, egg, feta, flour and black pepper.
4. Using your hands, mix together the ingredients in the bowl, squeezing it as you go. It is important to combine all the ingredients really well but try to keep a little of the texture of the feta.
5. Place a deep frying pan over a high heat and add enough oil to cover the fritters. You can check if the oil is hot enough by adding a small cube of bread to it. It should sizzle immediately when it's ready.
6. Working in batches of 4-6, shape the fritter mixture into patties and carefully lower them into the oil one at a time.
7. Fry for about 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp on each side. Carefully remove and drain on kitchen paper.
8. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
Serve with a yoghurt mint dressing.