Warm Salad of Roasted Squash & Mushrooms
Cooking Time: 1 hour
1 butternut squash (about 1kg in weight)
12 sage leaves, bruised
4 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
100ml olive oil
Large knob of butter
300g open-cap mushrooms, thickly sliced
Small bunch of rocket
150g blue cheese (we like Dorset Blue Vinny or Stilton), crumbled
Handful of walnuts
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 190C.
2. Peel, halve and de-seed the squash. Next cut into 2-3cm chunks and put into a roasting tin with the sage leaves, garlic, all but 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper. Roast for about 40 minutes, stirring once, or until soft and coloured at the edges.
3. Put the remaining olive oil in a frying pan with the butter and place over a medium heat. Throw in the mushrooms, along with a little salt and pepper and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until they are cooked through and the liquid they release has evaporated.
4. While the mushrooms are cooking, make the dressing by whisking the olive oil and balsamic vinegar together in a small bowl, along with some salt and pepper.
5. In a large bowl, combine the still warm, but not too hot, cooked squash and mushrooms with the rocket and blue cheese. Sprinkle over the walnuts and then add enough dressing to dress them lightly. Toss together and serve.