The perfect chutney for your cheeseboard
Christmas wouldn't be Christmas in our house without a bounty of cheese to see us through those slow days between Christmas and New Year.
This delicious Spiced Apple Chutney is the perfect accompaniment for your festive cheeseboard.
Make 4-6 jars
Cooking Time: 2-2 1/2 hours
225g onions, chopped
900g apples, cored and chopped
110g sultanas or raisins
15g ground coriander
15g mixed spice
340g granulated sugar
425ml malt vinegar
1. Put all the ingredients into a preserving pan and slowly bring to the boil until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Simmer for 1½-2 hours, stirring from time to time to stop the chutney sticking to the pan.
3. While the chutney is simmering, clean and sterilise 4-6 jars.
4. When the chutney has thickened, and you can draw a wooden spoon across the base of the pan so that it leaves a channel behind it that does not immediately fill with liquid, the chutney is ready.
5. Pour into the sterilised jars, seal and cool.
6. This chutney can be enjoyed straight away but the flavours in the chutney will continue develop if the jars are stored in a cool, dark cupboard for two to three months.