Scones for a Cream Tea!
We're based in Devon, so scones naturally feature quite frequently when we're at home baking! With all the strawberries coming through it's quite fun to rustle up a homemade jam to go with them.
Ingredients: (makes approx 10 scones)
- 450g self raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50g caster sugar
- 100g butter (at room temperature)
- 2 free range eggs
- 200ml milk (plus extra to brush scones with)
- Preheat oven to 200c
- Put all ingredients into a mixer and whizz them up into a dough
- Take the dough out of the mixer and knead lightly for a minute or so to bring it all together nicely
- Roll the dough out so that it is approx 2cm thick
- Use a pastry cutter to cut out your scones, and place on a lightly greased baking tray
- Brush the top of the scones with a little milk
- Pop the scones in the oven for 10-15minutes until they are a lovely golden brown
For the jam...
If you fancy making your own homemade strawberry jam too, this is a quick and easy way....it's designed for instant eating, so just make it a little ahead of your scones so that it has time to cool. No need to mess around with sterilising jars, just enjoy eating it!!
1. Pick all your strawberries (I have to admit I tend to eat the nice ones whole, and then any that the slugs got I cut off the good bits and use for jam!!) and weigh them.
2. Measure out the same weight in sugar
3. Roughly chop the strawberries and put them in a saucepan on a medium heat.
4. Once the strawberries start to get a bit mushy, add the sugar.
5. Mix well and let it come to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer - keep stirring and keep an eye on it. As soon as it reaches a jammy consistency, remove from the heat and pop it in a new dish to cool ready for when your scones come out of the oven!