Chickpea & Fennel Seed Fritters
If you're hosting a bash during the festivities, these Chickpea & Fennel Seed Fritters make great finger food - perfect for mopping up some of those festive drinks! The addition of gram flour and fennel seeds gives the fritters a delicious Middle Eastern twist.
Serves 4-6 as nibbles
Cooking Time: Approx. 30 minutes plus cooling time
750ml very cold water
250g chickpea (gram) flour
1 tsp fennel seeds, ground
1 tsp salt
8 turns of black pepper mill
Handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
100ml olive oil, for frying
1. Pour the water into a large saucepan. Using a balloon whisk, pour the gram flour in a steady stream and whisk to avoid any lumps.
2. Once the flour is incorporated and has formed a paste, add the ground fennel seeds.
3. Heat the pan and gradually bring to the boil, stirring all the time and making sure it doesn't catch on the bottom. Turn down to a simmer and keep stirring for about 10-15 minutes until thick; the paste should leave the sides of the pan clean. Take off the heat and stir in the salt, pepper and parsley.
4. Spoon the mixture into a small loaf tin (450g), lined with clingfilm and allow to cool completely.
5. When cold, turn out and slice fairly thinly. Shallow fry for a couple of minutes on each side until crisp and golden around the edges.
6. Sprinkle with a little salt and a squeeze of lemon and serve immediately.