Cheese & Sweetcorn Muffins
These simple to make savoury muffins are a perfect lunchbox filler or snack for all those hungry mouths after a busy day at school. They also freeze brilliantly so you can make a batch and grab them when you need them.
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
250g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
200g Extra Mature Cheddar cheese, grated
160g tinned sweetcorn, drained
25g fresh chives, finely chopped
2 eggs, beaten
100ml sunflower or vegetable oil
250ml semi skimmed milk
1 tbsp oil to brush the tin
Optional: spring onions, red onion, cooked bacon, peppers, spinach
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Brush the inside of a muffin tin well with oil.
3. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, cheese (all but a handful), sweetcorn and chives in a bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, oil and milk. When combined, add this to the dry mix, along with any of the optional extras, and stir until fully mixed and resembles a thick batter. Be careful not to over mix but do check that there are no pockets of dry flour hiding.
5. Add the mixture to the 12 muffin holes and then sprinkle the remaining handful of cheese over the top.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.