We've been making this recipe from The Happy Pear for years and it's a real winner with all who taste them. Super easy to make, the children could even help if you the time.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1½ tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp cocoa powder
225g peanut butter
165g coconut oil
260ml tbsp water
Chocolate top layer
195g cocoa butter
180g maple syrup
30g cocoa powder
- To make the base layer, blend all the ingredients in a food processor and transfer to a parchment lined tray (approx. 33x23cm).
- Spread the base out in an even layer and pop in the freezer for 5 minutes to help it set.
- While the base is setting, start the caramel layer. Melt the oil and peanut butter over a low heat, whisking to combine.
- Blend the dates in a food processor for a few minutes then add salt and the melted oil and peanut butter. Continue to blend until it becomes a combined paste, add the water and blend until it is incorporated making a lovely caramel texture.
- Spread the caramel evenly over the chilled base layer, covering completely.
- To make the top chocolate layer, simply melt the cocoa butter over a low heat until just melted. Remove from the heat making sure you don't overheat it.
- Whisk the cocoa powder into the melted cocoa butter, making sure there are no lumps, then whisk in the maple syrup. The mixture should have a pouring consistency.
- Pour mixture over the caramel to cover evenly and allow to set at ambient room temperature.
- When nicely firm and set, cut into desired size square and enjoy.