Aubergine, Tomato & Pomegranate Salad
This super healthy salad packed full of wonderful spices and flavours is perfect for a hot summer evening. Enjoy it on its own, with crusty bread or pair it with some BBQ'd meat or cheese to make it a more substantial meal.
For the salad
3 large aubergines
Extra virgin olive oil
4 medium tomatoes (around 500g in total), seeds removed and chopped
2 spring onions, finely sliced
Seeds of 2 ½ pomegranate, plus more to serve
15g parsley leaves, finely chopped, plus more to serve
15g mint leaves, finely chopped, plus more to serve
For the dressing
2 tbsp unsweetened pomegranate molasses
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp lemon juice
¼ tsp ground allspice
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place all the dressing ingredients in a clean jar, seasoning with ¾-1 tsp salt and ½ tsp black pepper.
2. Screw on the lid and give it a good shake so that all the ingredients combine. Set the dressing aside, for the flavours to infuse while you make the salad.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/Gas 1.
4. Peel the aubergines, if you like, and then chop them into 3cm chunks and place them on a baking tray. Drizzle over a couple of tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and ½ tsp salt and use your hands to mix it all together. Roast for about 25 minutes, or until they are soft.
5. Transfer the aubergines to a serving bowl and leave to cool.
6. Add the remaining salad ingredients to the bowl and pour over the dressing. Mix well, then taste to adjust the seasoning.
7. Sprinkle with a few more pomegranate seeds and herbs, just before serving.